Ontario April 21, 2021 Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- The Agri-tech Innovation Program will provide substantial incentives in two separate streams:
- The Early Adopters stream will foster adoption of advanced technology to modernize businesses that are not yet widely adopted within the sector (e.g., production or automation technology); the province will cover 35 per cent of the project cost to a maximum of $100,000. This stream is designed for significant projects with a minimum value of $150,000.
- Phase three of the program will focus on truly innovative projects, where the innovation is new to Ontario, North America or the specific sector (e.g., prototyping/customization of an autonomous farm harvesting equipment). The projects will involve piloting or demonstrating the technology and will need to be a collaboration between at least two businesses/organizations.
- The Agri-food Prevention and Control Innovation Program complements the province’s Prevention, Control and Outbreak Support Strategy for COVID-19 in Ontario’s Farm Workers, which recommends 35 actions to prevent and control COVID-19 on farms, protect farm worker safety and wellness, and maintain the sustainability and viability of the agri-food sector.
- Agri-Tech Innovation Program information and application forms will be available as of May 17, 2021 for the Early Adopters Stream. The intake for the Innovators Stream will open following the closing of the Early Adopters Stream.
- Read the full news release from the Province of Ontario here: Ontario Investing $25.5 Million in Technology to Protect Agri-Food Workers | Ontario Newsroom